Sunday, January 27, 2013

We're Moving

I have an announcement to make:

I am moving this blog to the platform Tumblr. My new url is oddsendsandpolitics.tumblr.com.

Why am I doing this? Short answer: It makes my life easier.

Long answer: I created this blog on Blogspot and have had trouble getting people to read it. I don't want to bother people by making them read my stuff and then doing nothing for them in exchange, and nobody finds this blog by accident. I set up a while ago a Tumblr account so that I could follow my friends' blogs, but I got a blog of my own and didn't quite know what to do with it, so it became a repository of random content I wanted to read later.

Just recently I got the idea to combine the two. It will be a bit awkward to have really long blog posts in a format that works a bit more like twitter, but the actual page will look the same, so I'm not losing anything. I'll be able to get my friends to follow me in exchange for following their blogs. Currently, only two of my friends who are not family read the blog at all (thanks so much!) and both of them have Tumblr accounts anyway. And Tumblr's features like tagging will allow me to expand my readership. Already, my best of the year posts have gained me one like and one follow by people I don't know.

This shouldn't be much of a change for you.
  • If you have a tumblr account, just hit the "follow" button in the top right.
  • If you read my page from a bookmark, just bookmark the new url. 
  • If you use an RSS feed, there's a white RSS button on the gray bar under the title.
  • If you subscribe by e-mail, the service feedmailer (here) will e-mail my RSS feed to you.
  • If none of this makes sense to you, send me an e-mail or ask in the comments.
I'm in the processes of back-dating my archived blog posts on the new page and making the blog not look stupid.  (Color scheme critiques are appreciated.) I apologize for any inconvenience.

I'll be posting more frequently shorter posts, like simple links or songs, but I'll keep posting essays and such when I can. (They might sound a bit less like a newspaper column, however. Context isn't as necessary on tumblr.) I'll also might use tumblr-based mannerisms, such as OC, which stands for original content. If there's ever an issue or question, the blog has an "ask" button on the right-hand side under the profile picture and search bar.

Thanks for reading the blog in its current incarnation, and have good lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment